Updated: May 2014
Selection Classification Procedure for Interscholastic Athletes
The intent of Selection/Classification is to provide for students in grades 7 through 12 a mechanism allowing them to participate safely at an appropriate level of competition based upon readiness rather than age and grade. Students do not mature at the same rate and there can be a tremendous range of developmental differences between students of the same age. The program is not to be used to fill positions on teams, provide additional experience, provide a place for junior high (middle school) students when no modified program is offered, or reward a student. Instead it is aimed at the few select students who can benefit from such placement because of their level of readiness. It will also be fairer to other students on the modified teams. This New York State Education Department approved program extends the high school eligibility of middle school students who are qualified.
Recommendations for those exceptional few middle school students will be made to the Athletic Director by the program’s Varsity Head Coach only. Included below is the process that the Bethlehem Central School District will use when selectively classifying an athlete:
1. The Varsity Head Coach will identify possible candidate to the Athletic Director who will initiate a Pre-Assessment
2. Upon approval of the Pre-Assessment by the Athletic Director, the Varsity Head Coach must obtain parental permission for the process to continue.
3. A medical examination and approval by the school physician determining development and maturity level in compliance with established sport guidelines.
4. A Physical Education teacher that is not the student-athlete’s coach will administer the athletic performance test. The athlete must meet or exceed the criteria for the particular level of competition. Students must pass all tests in order to be eligible to tryout. All students will be given a maximum of 2 retests per athletic performance test if needed.
5. Upon final approval of the selection classification status and level the Athletic Director or Varsity Head Coach will inform the student-athlete and parent.