Mr. Charles Abba,
6/2/09: Wind Ensemble Senior Showcase, BCHS, 7:30 p.m.
6/3/09: Board of Education Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
6/6/09: BCHS Senior Ball
SAT I & II
6/15/09: Last Day of Classes at BCHS
6/16-25/09 BCHS School and Regents Examinations
6/17/09: Board of Education Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
6/25/09: Last Day of School
6/26/09: BCHS Commencement, 6:30 p.m., University at Albany SEFCU Arena
(Please email all entries for the High Flyer to : Michael Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org by the 25th of the month for posting in the next edition.)
Produced by BCHS in cooperation with the
Capital Region BOCES Communications Service.
© 2008. All rights reserved
I wish I had an original or creative way of saying the following: “I can’t believe the school year is nearly over…” Yet here we are, less than one month from the end of the 2008-2009 school year. It does seem that time passes more quickly than ever. June brings us warm weather, students excited about summer vacation, and a very busy schedule.
It’s hard to believe that the school year is coming to a close! As it does, many of us are moving on to new paths in our life journeys. For the seniors, we wish you the very best. Look to the future and its promises, not to life’s limitations as there are so many experiences awaiting for you.
Congratulations to the 2009
Charles A. Gunner Award Recipients
Each year the BCCO presents this financial award to two graduating seniors, based on recommendations from the Counseling Center, who have demonstrated a strong commitment to their school community and personal challenges. This year’s recipients are James Angermeier and Peter Kleinke — congratulations!
The final farewell to our 2009 Graduates is quickly approaching. Thanks to the support of so many in our community, the Graduation Celebration will no doubt be a memorable event. Yet, there is still much to do and we need your help…
• Junior Parents Come Join the Fun — We are reaching a critical point for the Graduation Celebration — we do not have enough junior parent volunteers. Most of you probably know what's involved with the Graduation Celebration — the junior parents chaperone the event at the high school on June 26, the night of graduation, so the senior parents can either rest or spend time with out-of-town family and friends. The seniors are entertained in the high school from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. This is a fun and safe way for the seniors to enjoy their last BC event. This is a really important school event and a tradition most parents would like to see continue from year to year. However, it truly can only work if junior parents offer 2-3 hours of their time.
Please check to see if you and your spouse/partner can help us out. Next year, you will be grateful to the junior parents for helping out your family. If you would like to help, please email Lisa Finkle at email@example.com or Lisa Callahan at Callahan@nycap.rr.com.
• Donations — The prize committee has been working nonstop to collect a variety of prizes to be raffled off throughout the celebration. If you have any contacts with area businesses, please let them know about the celebration and that any type of assistance would be appreciated: prizes for our raffle, gift certificates, or even a small donation. Please contact Maggi Royle at 439-6466 or Peggy Carroll at 434-3473. Checks can be made payable to: BETHLEHEM GRADUATION CELEBRATION and sent to: Lisa Plummer, 24 Huntersfield Road, Delmar, NY 12054.
• Games and Decorations — We are looking for ANY type of board games to be used for the night. Also, if you would consider loaning your air hockey or foosball table to the event, please call Kathleen Martens at 475-0776 to make arrangements — we will pick up and return it. The decorating committee is looking for strands of single-colored decorative lights. We will return them if you put your name and number on a piece of tape and attach it to the lights. Contact Debbie Ebersold at 439-3391 if you can help us out.
• Photo Wall — Some great pictures have been sent in for the photo wall. The more the better. There is still time to get your favorite and funniest photos on the wall. Please select photos (color or black & white) of your child alone or with classmates. Print the photos, only one per page please, onto plain 8½” x 11” letter-sized paper (not photo paper). The photos can be dropped off at the main office of the High School or at Ship, Copy & More by June 19. If you have any questions or would like to help put up the photos before the celebration please contact Laura Conti at firstname.lastname@example.org or 475-0144. Thanks for making the celebration a wonderful event each year!
Chairs - Prize and Fundraising - Arrangements are underway
to locate chairs for the various committees for the 2010 Graduation
Celebration. We are still looking for two chairs for the Prize Committee
and two chairs for the Fundraising Committee. As junior parents, you can
"shadow" this year's chairs to learn the ropes. If interested, please
contact the Volunteer Chairs -Lisa Finkle at 439-4087 (email@example.com)
or Lisa Callahan at 439-9223 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• 2010 Graduation Celebration Chairs - Do you want to do one more volunteer gig before your senior graduates next year? We're looking for two candidates to co-chair the 2010 Graduation Celebration. The primary job is to oversee the various committees and arrange monthly meetings for the committee chairs. Everything is well documented and almost all of the committees are set with junior "shadow" chairs who are being "trained" by this year's senior chairs. It is a wonderful night to enjoy and a nice way to
remember the members of the graduating class. For more information,
contact Honor Kennedy at 475-0441 (email@example.com) or Maggi Royle at 439-6466 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
BCCO Grant Proposal Committee Is Getting Started — Volunteers Wanted
A committee is being formed to study how best to arrange for a BCCO process to review requests for “mini” grants or funding of special events, programs, or service offerings that would benefit high school students.
With additional funds for the BCCO — given that the funds for the printing and mailing of the paper version of the High Flyer will no longer be needed — we would like to support efforts enhancing the opportunities and environment for our high school students.
The committee will work out details on a process for organizations or programs to submit proposals for funding with a review mechanism. We hope to have things in place prior to the end of the school year.
For more information, please touch base with Marie Copeland, Grant Proposal Committee chair, at 439-4050.
Food Services announces availability of new online payment system
The district is pleased to announce the availability of a convenient, easy and secure online pre-payment service to deposit money into your child's school meal account at any time. This service also provides parents the ability to view your child's account balance through a Web site called MyNutrikids.com.
Shop Amazon to Support Ice Hockey
Click on the Amazon.com logo on the Bethlehem Varsity Hockey Website (www.varsity.bethlehemhockey.org) and order your gifts, school supplies, or just a book or CD. All purchases made online will generate a 6% rebate to Bethlehem Hockey Boosters at no additional cost to you! Anything you order by going through this link is eligible for a rebate to the team. Contact Danny Russo (469-6017) if you have questions.