Events & Information
BCMS Character Education
About the BCMS character education program
We are fortunate here at the Middle School that so many of our students are kind and respectful to each other. We treat each other with respect because it’s the right thing to do and it adds to the overall positive and safe climate of our school.
character education mission statement
Our school’s Character Education Mission Statement was created in the spring of 2009 by staff and students who serve on the middle school's Character Education Committee. The Mission reflects goals relating to character and respect we have set for ourselves and our school community.
Character Education Mission Statement
"Bethlehem Central Middle School is a place where we teach and model
positive values in all aspects of our learning environment.
Students, staff, and parents strive to create an atmosphere of belonging and responsibility where our differences are celebrated.
We respect and care for ourselves, each other, and our community."
recognizing positive behavior
It is our goal to encourage and recognize positive behavior throughout the school year. Here are some ways that we will let you know how much we appreciate your positive contributions to our school community:
• Character Award: this award recognizes students who display good character on a consistent basis throughout the marking period. Students who are nominated by a staff member are invited to a special breakfast where they will receive a certificate from the Principal. See the links at the left for stories and photos from the Character Breakfasts.
• Eagle Award: This award is given to students who display acts of kindness, courtesy, or cooperation throughout the school day. Any staff member may give this award upon observing this positive display of character. Learn more about the Eagle Award [PDF].
Pillars of Character Pizza Lunch:
At the beginning of each month, we will highlight a certain Pillar
of Character (caring, respect, responsibility, fairness,
trustworthiness, and citizenship) on the morning announcements. At
the end of a three month period, we will ask
each team to nominate up to four students who have demonstrated each
of the the
particular character traits for those months and then hold a pizza
party them and one of their friends (because who you hang out with
builds character as well). Read more about the
Pillars of Character Pizza Lunch.
Read more about the Pillars of Character Pizza Lunch.
• Table of the Week program in the cafeteria: This recognition is given to a table of students who display positive behavior at lunch throughout the week; the chosen table earns the opportunity to eat outside on Fridays. We will continue this program in the spring when the weather permits.
We hope you have an opportunity to be recognized through one of these programs throughout the year.
what to do about disrespectful treatment
Here at BCMS, every one has the right to come to school free from the fear of being teased, bullied, or harassed by someone else. If someone is treating you disrespectfully or going out of their way to make you uncomfortable, here are some important tips for you to remember:
• You can ask the person to stop in a firm, but non-threatening, non-aggressive manner.
• If the problem persists then there are people here in the building you can turn to for help. Get to a teacher, counselor, administrator, or a staff member for help. You can be confident that we will take the necessary steps to address the situation in a confidential manner.
• If you are aware that someone you know is being bullied or harassed, be an ally and let us let us know so we can help.
It takes all of us working together to make sure BCMS is a safe place free from bullying and harassment.
• Activities Guide [PDF]