The annual BC Caring and Sharing Program is underway with schools collecting food donations and grocery gift cards.
The Bethlehem Central School District organizes and runs this program with one goal in mind: to assist families in the school community who may be struggling to make ends meet by providing food and grocery gift cards for the December holiday break and throughout the school year.
“Caring and Sharing is an annual event that helps us provide all children with what they need to make every day successful, not stressful,” said Superintendent Jody Monroe. “The district works with families to find available resources to help cover the cost of things like food, toiletries, and school supplies for our students. Each year, we have found great support for Caring and Sharing from students, staff, families, businesses and other community partners who are always here to lend a helping hand.”
Each school in the district collects certain food items in late November and early December. High school students organize the items into holiday bags that are distributed to families the Saturday before the December holiday break. Community members and businesses also donate to support Caring and Sharing.
Superintendent Monroe said everyone at one time or another may experience periods of economic stress that are unexpected and overwhelming. However, the lingering effects of the pandemic and the rising cost of food and other necessities have made this year especially difficult for some families.
“Every school in Bethlehem has staff who can help connect families with resources all year long,” said Superintendent Monroe. “We want our families to know that. Caring and Sharing helps us to get that message out there.”
- If you are interested in supporting the BC Caring and Sharing Program, see below for the list of items your child’s school will be collecting. If you are a community member or business who would like to make a donation, please contact Sherri Fitzpatrick in the district’s Special Education and Student Services (SESS) department at 518-439-8886 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are a family who could use assistance this year or you know of a district family that could benefit, please use or share this registration link: BCSD Parent Registration Form Caring & Sharing 2022
If you cannot complete the enrollment form electronically, please contact the SESS Department at 518-439-8886 or email Sherri Fitzpatrick email@example.com Families who enroll will receive the donated food and gift cards as part of the 2021 BC Caring and Sharing Day on Saturday, December 17. Pick-up will take place from 9 a.m. to 12 noon at Bethlehem Central High School on the Van Dyke Rd. side of the building. It will be a curbside pick up.
What items are being collected?
- Dry pasta
- Pasta/Spaghetti sauce
- Instant potatoes
- Brownie mix
- Canned vegetable (beans, peas, corn)
- Cookie mix
- Canned fruit (peaches, pears, etc.)
- Peanut butter
- Fruit cocktail
- Grape jelly
- Stuffing mix (pork, chicken, turkey)
- Pudding mix
- Canned soup (tomato, chicken noodle, etc.)
- Breakfast cereal
- Canned tuna fish
Be part of a BC tradition
Bethlehem Central’s Holiday Caring and Sharing has become a tradition during the season of giving. Find out more by watching this video from the 2021 Caring and Sharing drive.