All home instruction inquiries will be directed to the health office.
- The health office will email, fax, or give the application to the parent/guardian.
- The parent and doctor/mental health professional are responsible for completing the application.
- Application must list medical and/or mental health diagnosis in detail.
- The parent should sign the release on the bottom of section 1 to give the school nurse permission to contact the doctor if an extension is needed.
- The application will be returned to the health office once completed and scanned into a shared folder.
- For any unique situation, the nurse will reach out to the counselor, school physician, and home instruction coordinator (the home instruction team) to discuss.
The nurse will forward all completed applications to the assistant superintendent’s office for approval/denial and also notify designated clerical staff, counselors, and supervisors.
The assistant superintendent will review the application and forward the approval or rejection letters to the school nurse, designated clerical staff, counselors, and supervisors:
- If approved, the counselor will be the point person for the home instruction.
- If denied, the home instruction coordinator will reach out to the parent/guardian.
If home instruction is granted, the counselor will complete the following tasks:
- Contact the parent/guardian to inform them of home instruction approval.
- E-mail the teachers to inform them that the student will be out on home instruction.
- Ensure that teachers submit curriculum materials to designated clerical staff within 5 calendar days.
- Ensure that completed materials are returned to the teacher in a timely manner.
- Send teachers the tutor’s weekly progress report.
If home instruction is granted, the designated clerical staff will complete the following tasks:
- Complete the Student Information Sheet and e-mail it to the counselor, tutor, and home instruction coordinator.
- Schedule a tutor to work with the home instruction student.
- Connect the tutor and the parents; solidify the tutoring schedule.
- Collect work submitted by the teachers; distribute work to the tutor.
- Collect completed work from the tutor; the counselor will distribute back to the teachers.
- Ensure that the tutor is submitting weekly progress reports. Forward them to the counselor.
- Forward time/mileage sheets to the home instruction coordinator for approval (including the tutor and parent signatures).
If home instruction is granted, the teachers will complete the following tasks:
- Provide work to the designated clerical staff for distribution to the tutor within 5 calendar days.
- Assess the completed work and review the weekly progress report from the tutor.
- Communicate with the parents weekly regarding academic progress.
- Work with the department supervisor for long term planning.
If home instruction is granted, the tutor will complete the following tasks:
- Collect work for home instruction students from designated clerical staff.
- Return completed work to the designated clerical staff on a weekly basis.
- Submit time sheets to the designated clerical staff weekly; mileage sheets are submitted monthly.
- Submit weekly progress reports to the designated clerical staff.
If home instruction is granted, the home instruction coordinator will complete the following tasks:
- Contact the parent/guardian if home instruction is denied.
- Monitor approved tutoring hours to ensure accuracy.
- Submit time/mileage sheets to the business office.
In the event an extension is needed, the parent will contact the counselor and the following will take place:
- The counselor will inform the school nurse to obtain an update from the student’s doctor.
- The counselor will set up a meeting with the subject area supervisors/teachers to monitor student progress and ensure curriculum standards are being met.
Any issues or problems should be reported to the home instruction coordinator immediately so they can be addressed.
Return to School Meeting/Plan
- Parents will be provided an opportunity for a re-entry meeting with the counselor and any other individual that would facilitate a transition back into school.
- The school counselor will review any work that still needs to be completed and outline a timeframe for completion.
- Any adjustments/modifications that need to be made to a student’s schedule/program will be completed at this meeting.
Home/Hospital Instruction Program Forms
- Section I – Parent/Student Information
To be completed by the parent(s)/guardian(s) prior to completion of Section II by a licensed medical professional.
- Section II – Professional Statement
To be completed by a licensed medical professional.
- Section III -Home/Hospital Review Committee
To be completed by the Home/Hospital Instruction Team.