Whether your child is walking, biking, taking the bus or being dropped off, safety and patience are keywords when it comes to arrival and dismissal in the new school year. Once again, we expect to have a large number of people driving their children so we have a plan that will allow us to move you through the parking lot as efficiently as possible. If needed, we will be making adjustments to the plan as we see what the school year brings.
You can view or download the arrival/dismissal procedures here. These instructions are also described below:
Buses, walkers, bike riders
9:05 a.m. to 9:10 a.m.
- Buses enter from the direction of Kenwood Ave. This area will be for bus traffic only.
- Students will be dismissed from the buses in a safe, purposeful manner.
- If your child is walking or riding their bike, you must schedule their arrival for between 9:05-9:10 a.m. They will not be allowed on school grounds until this time.
Parent Drop Off
9:10 a.m. – Cars can start to line up
9:15 a.m. – Drop-off begins
- Cars will enter from the direction of Orchard St. toward Kenwood and pull in to entrance closest to school. If you try to enter from the wrong direction, you will be directed to continue up Union Ave to join the end of the line coming down the hill. Buses will approach the school from Kenwood to Union Ave.
- Cars will be let in only after buses have departed (approx. 9:15 a.m.)
- Cars will drive to back of school where they will line up and the children will exit their vehicles.
- Adults will stay in their cars and students will exit out the right side (passenger) car door (just like Kiss & Go). Children should be able to do this independently. Please practice this. This will help arrival move faster. Students will be directed to enter the school using a variety of doors. There will be many staff members inside and outside assisting students.
Parent Pick Up
3:00 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Cars will enter Union Ave. from the direction of Orchard St. toward Kenwood Ave. If you try to enter from the wrong direction, you will be directed to continue up Union Ave to join the end of the line coming down the hill.
- At 2:50 p.m., you will be directed to enter the school lot through the entrance furthest from the school on Union Ave. and will line up along the sidewalk in back of the school.
- Stay in your car and show your colored placard with your child’s name/number on it. (These will be distributed the first week of school.) Your child’s information will be radioed into the school so your child is ready to be picked up as you reach the front of the line.
- Please do not forget the placard. If you do, it will be disruptive to the process and will take you extra time.
- You will continue driving through the parking lot to the back. There will be staff assisting children as they look for you. (You will need to assist your child with their car seat and seatbelt.) We need to move as efficiently as possible to move the cars through to get ready for the buses to pull in to the back at 3:15 p.m.
- If your child is walking or riding a bike they will be escorted out of the building and crossed at the crosswalk if needed.
- If you are meeting your child, please wait on the Union Ave. sidewalk.
Children Taking the Bus
- We will dismiss students who take the bus in a staggered fashion to minimize the number of kids getting on the bus at the same time.
- Students in grades K-1 will be walked to the cafeteria.
- Students in grades 2-5 will be going to the cafeteria after bus students are dismissed.