Students from the BCHS Chapter of Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) scored high marks in several categories at this year’s New York State FBLA Spring Leadership Conference. The conference, which is the annual high point for FBLA members, was held virtually this year. The BC students and students from across the state competed in events that test business, leadership and technology skills, as well as decision-making.
Congratulations to the following students:
- Sahil Amin – 3rd place in NYS in Personal Finance (written performance);
- Fay Hu – 3rd place in NYS in Financial Math and 4th place in Word Processing (written performances);
- Connor Reilly – 2nd place in NYS in Spreadsheet Applications and 4th place in Business Calculations (written performances);
- Isabella Chirkis – 5th place in NYS in Introduction to Word Processing (written performance);
- Rachel Barnes – Honorable mention for running a campaign for NYS District 4 Vice President
- Emma Liu – Honorable mention for competing in the Impromptu Speaking event (performance event).
- Brianna Doran – Honorable mention for competing in written performance events.
- Caleb Frezza – Honorable mention for competing in written performance events.
Bethlehem’s FBLA will now participate in the FBLA National Leadership Conference being held virtually in May and June. Students who placed in the top four in their state events are eligible to compete at the national level.
The FBLA conference events are intended to prepare students for successful careers by providing opportunities to apply classroom concepts in a workforce-simulated environment. There are more than 75 competitive categories students can participate in as part of FBLA, including writing a business plan, mobile app development, supply chain management and health care administration. FBLA is the largest career-related student organization in the world. Its focus is on leadership development, academic competition, and community service.
Business teacher Tracy Farrell is the advisor of the BC Chapter of FBLA. For high school students who are interested in participating in FBLA, the group meets every Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Contact Ms. Farrell at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.