Students will return to a “greener” school district in September as several energy efficiency improvements that are part of the district’s Energy Performance Contract (EPC) get underway this summer. The $4.2 million EPC was approved by the Board of Education in 2014 to make energy-specific capital upgrades that will result in annual savings for the school district. Improvements will be made at locations across the district and will include new LED interior and exterior lighting, installation of new boilers, pipe and valve insulation, new demand-response ventilation controls as well as window replacement, and sealing and caulking in certain areas.
The contract, which received final approval from the New York State Education in late April, provides that the project is to be funded by annual energy savings at no additional cost to local taxpayers.
Some of the EPC projects that will begin this summer include:
- High School – F-Wing – Boiler plant replacement
- High School – Gym B – Ceiling demolition, new ductwork, ceiling paint and lighting.
- High School/Middle School Pools – New lighting is anticipated this summer. Installation of heat recovery units will be coordinated with Athletics and Physical Education departments.
- Districtwide – LED Lighting – Interior and exterior lighting at every building will be replaced with 13-watt LEDs. Work will begin this summer at the high school and continue throughout the school year at other buildings with most work taking place after the school day has ended.
- High School/Middle School – Installation of kitchen freezer & cooler controls
- Districtwide – Ventilation “demand controls” will be installed in all large areas (gyms, auditoriums, café, LMCs) starting in mid-August. Sensors will trigger system operation in these areas.
- Districtwide – Pipe & Valve Insulation – Starting early August at the high school and continuing at each building.
- Districtwide – Building Envelope Improvements – Select window replacement, sealing and caulking will begin at Glenmont and Hamagrael in late summer. Will continue at all other buildings after end of school day.