In response to a nationwide and local driver shortage, the Bethlehem Central School District is proposing changes to bus transportation eligibility to reduce the number of bus routes, beginning next school year. These changes could impact up to 700 students districtwide beginning in 2022-23. The proposed changes shown on the maps below would need to be approved by a public vote in May before they could be implemented for the new school year.
If approved, the district expects it could eliminate 4-5 bus routes, reducing the number of drivers needed by 4-5 and helping to stabilize student transportation across the district. If the measure is not approved, a similar number of routes would still need to be consolidated, resulting in longer bus rides and more students on each bus.
The district is seeking feedback on these proposals before March 16, when the Board of Education would decide on whether to include a change to transportation eligibility on the ballot in May. You can email your feedback, questions or concerns to email@example.com. All comments will be shared with district administrators and members of the Board of Education. If you are unable to access the map below, please call the BCSD Communications Office at 518-439-3650.
Elsmere Elementary: Proposed Walk Zone
- If a family’s home is within the large shaded area on this map, the student would not be eligible for district transportation as part of the proposed change. The family would be responsible for getting their child to/from school.
- Only households within the large shaded areas are included in the expanded walk zone.
- Share your feedback, questions or concerns via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
List of Streets within Proposed Elsmere Walk Zone
- Adams Pl Both sides from St. Thomas School Parking Lot Driveway to Oakwood Pl
- Bartlett Ln – All
- Bedell Ave – All
- Booth Rd – All
- Delaware Ave – Both sides from Becker Ter to Delaware Plz
- Delaware Plz – All
- Delmar Pl – Both sides from Adams Pl to Kenwood Ave
- Delsmere Ave – All
- E Poplar Dr – Both sides from Maywood Rd to Dead End
- Ellsworth Ave – All
- Ellsworth Pl – All
- Elsmere Ave – Both sides from Delaware Avel to Kenwood Ave
- Glendale Ave – All
- Greenleaf Dr – Both sides from Kenwood Ave to Maywood Rd
- Groesbeck Pl – All
- Hawley Ct – All
- Herber Ave – All
- Herrick Ave – All
- Howard Pl – All
- Kenwood Ave – North side of Kenwood Ave from Delmar Pl to Pine St. South side is zoned for Hamagrael Elem. Both sides of Kenwood Ave from Pine St to Maywood Rd.
- Laurel Dr – All
- Leonard Pl – All
- Lincoln Ave – All
- Maple Ave – All
- Morningside Dr – All
- Oakwood Pl – All
- Park Pl – All
- Plymouth Ave – All
- Ridge Rd – All
- Rose Ct – All
- Rural Pl – All
- Snowden Ave – All
- Sunset Dr – All
- W Poplar Dr – All
- Winding Rd – All