The Bethlehem Central School District’s Green Team will again partner with the Town of Bethlehem, Delmar Farmers Market and Grassroot Givers for the 9th annual America Recycles Day.
The community recycling event will take place at Bethlehem Central Middle School at 332 Kenwood Avenue, Delmar, NY 12054. The event will be held on Saturday, November 18 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (please plan to arrive before 12:45 p.m.) The recycling event is open to all Capital Region residents; only paper shredding is open to BCSD residents.
Area residents will have the opportunity to recycle the following items:
- Clothing and Textile Reuse and Recycling
- Document Shredding/Paper Recycling (only available to BCSD residents)
- Book Reuse and Recycling
- Bicycle and Training Wheels Reuse
Items that are in good condition are set aside for reuse; other items are recycled. This year the middle school has created a Wellness Room at the school where students who need them can get hygiene products and/or clothing items free of charge. The Wellness Room is supported entirely by community donations. If you have clothing or accessories that would appeal to teenagers, please set those items aside and let us know when you drop them off that they are intended for the Wellness Room.
Clothing/Textiles Reuse & Recycling*
- All types of clothing: wearable clothing will be reused, otherwise it will be recycled
- Household textiles: tablecloths, sheets, blankets, curtains, towels, stuffed animals
- Accessories: Belts, hats, gloves, purses, bags, backpacks, footwear
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Please separate items that may appeal to teens and group those separately. These items will be used to stock the BCMS Wellness Room. See more specific information about Wellness Room donations below.
Wellness Room donations
Help us stock the BCMS Wellness Room. We are looking for:
- New or gently used clothing (sizes youth & adult) including leggings, plaid pajama pants, sweatpants/joggers, cotton t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, flannels, athletic shorts,spo rt jerseys, sports bras, socks, footwear
- Winter clothing: Coats, gloves, hats
- New hygiene products: Hair brushes, hair accessories, body sprays, spray deodorant, dry shampoo
Document Shredding/Paper Recycling
- Shredding is limited to Town of Bethlehem residents and BCSD taxpayers with ID only
- Shredding limit: 3 medium-sized (i.e. copy paper size) boxes per household
Book Reuse and Recycling
- Books collected for reuse by Grassroot Givers or for recycling if not selected for reuse
- Please sort into boxes labeled “Donate”; gently used or newer books, especially children’s books or “Recycle”; books that are in poor shape, or obsolete books such as textbooks or encyclopedias
- Monetary donations gratefully accepted by Grassroots Givers
Bicycle and Training Wheel Reuse
- Kids & Adult bicycles, and bicycle training wheels will be collected for donation and reuse by Wheels Up
- Bicycles and training wheels in good, rideable shape or that need minor repairs are fine to donate. (NO tricycles, scooters, strollers, kiddy cars, etc. please.). All donated bikes go to Wheels Up of Albany or Troy Bike Rescue
Assistance for seniors
If you are over the age of 60 and need help transporting your documents, Bethlehem Senior Transportation may be able to help with home pickup for documents (but not for other items). If you need this assistance, please call 518-439-4955, ext. 1176.
Items NOT accepted for recycling or reuse
The following items will NOT be accepted: mattresses, rugs, pillows, loose foam stuffing, toys and household goods. No wet or mildewed textiles. No items that have any odor. No items contaminated with oil, paint or hazardous materials.