main content starts here


Registration for New Students

Registration for all new students occurs at the District Registrar’s Office, located at 700 Delaware Avenue in Delmar (518-439-2442). Throughout the year one person staffs the office, so to ensure that someone is available to assist you, please call before visiting. Parents/guardians may enroll their children for school at any time during the school year. Only Bethlehem Central residents may enroll in Bethlehem Central Schools. Bethlehem Central does NOT accept tuition students. You must have proof of residency in order to enroll your child. If you do not know whether your residence is within BC school district boundaries or which elementary school is your home school, contact the BC Transportation Department, (518) 439-3830.

Required Documents

Along with a completed registration packet, the following documentation is required in order to enroll your child for school at Bethlehem Central:

  • Your child’s original birth certificate or passport
  • Your child’s official immunization record (signed by physician or clinic staff)
  • Custody papers, if applicable. (If the student is not your biological child, you must present documentation that proves a permanent and total transfer of custody and control has been achieved.)
  • Three proofs of residency within the school district that include the name and address of a parent or guardian and are dated within the previous 30 days.
    • Proof of residency includes the following:
    • Homeowner’s insurance policy – Must be a valid policy with parent/guardian name and address.
    • Auto insurance policy – Must be a valid policy with parent/guardian name and address.
    • Telephone bill
    • Cable television installation receipt
    • National Grid bill (2nd page)
    • Legal and valid lease agreement – Must contain property owner’s name, address and signature; and name and signature of parent/guardian.
    • Home purchase contract – Must contain seller’s name, the address of the property being purchased and the purchaser’s name.

Academic records, including transcripts, recent report cards and any special education plan should be presented at the time of registration or to the school. Please bring the name and mailing address of your child’s previous school to registration.

McKinney Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act is a federal law that discusses the public education of children and youth in temporary housing. Under McKinney-Vento and state law, students are considered to be in temporary housing if their nighttime residence is not fixed, regular, and adequate. Some examples of temporary housing include: Sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing, economic hardship or other similar reason, Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, camping grounds, Living in emergency or transitional shelters, Abandoned in hospitals, Living in a public or private place not designed for sleeping, Living in cars, parks, abandoned buildings, bus or train stations, etc. Migratory living in circumstances described above.

Students who are protected under the McKinney-Vento Act are entitled to immediate enrollment in school even if they don’t have the documents normally needed, such as proof of residency, school records, immunization records, or birth certificate. Students who are protected under the McKinney-Vento Act may also be entitled to free transportation and other services.

If a student is determined not to be McKinney-Vento eligible, the family and/or student will be notified in writing. If the family and/or student disagrees with this determination, the family and/or student has the right to appeal. The family should contact the district McKinney-Vento liaison for assistance in writing their appeal. Pending appeal, the students will remain enrolled and receive transportation services. McKinney-Vento disputes and appeals must be filed with the New York State Education Department within 30 days of receiving the eligibility letter. The New York State Education Department is the final arbiter and will review the case and make a binding decision.

Elementary School Placement

We cannot guarantee placement at your home elementary school, but will try to accommodate those new students who register by March 1. If a grade at a particular elementary school reaches capacity, it will be necessary to place your child at another BC elementary school for the year, and then return your child to your home school for the remainder of his/her elementary schooling. When a decision is made on your child’s placement, we will contact you as soon as possible. If you have any questions, feel free to call the District Registrar, Melissa Haas, at 439-2442.

Kindergarten Registration

Kindergarten registration information will be mailed in December to all eligible families in the district database. If you have not already done so, please fill out a Preschool Student Information Form [electronic form] for your child. If you do not fill out this form your child’s name will not be in our database. Please complete the electronic form so that registration materials will be mailed to you, including a letter that is mailed to parents, which includes information on the documents you will need to register your child for Kindergarten.

In-person registration will be held in January and February. To register for fall 2020, children must be five years old by December 1 of the year they will start school. For example, children who will turn five between December 2, 2019 and December 1, 2020 will be eligible to start kindergarten in September 2019.

Contact District Registrar Melissa Haas at (518) 439-2442 if you have any questions. Once your child is registered for kindergarten, a screening will be scheduled for your child at your home elementary school.

Preschool Students

It is very important for the district to be aware of any resident preschoolers in order to plan for future enrollment. Please complete a Private School/Preschool Student Information Form [electronic form] and return it to the district registrar.

Private School Students

The district provides transportation to resident students who attend private or parochial school within 16 miles of their home. Private school students must be registered through the registrar’s office in order to receive transportation services. Please fill out a Private School/Preschool Student Information Form [PDF] and a Private/Parochial School Transportation Request Form [PDF] and send them in together. In addition, you must present three (3) proofs of residency in the district. If your child attends a private/parochial school but you plan to enroll him/her in a Bethlehem Central school for the upcoming school year, you must contact the registrar to register your child (even if your child previously attended a district school). You may register beginning each April for the following school year.

Private School Special Education Services – June 1 Deadline

Pursuant to Education Law section 3602-c, the Bethlehem Central School District will arrange for certain special education and related services to students who are residents of this school district and who attend nonpublic schools, provided that you file your request for services with the Board of Education or Committee on Special Education or before the first day of June preceding the school year for which the request is made within 30 days of notice from the District that your child has been initially identified as a child with a disability or within 30 days of establishing residency.