They say that families are a lot like branches on a tree: we grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one. In early January, sixteen graduates from the Lab School Class of 2017 returned to BCHS to spend time with their extended family, exemplifying this idea. The group shared their first-year college experiences with current Lab School students and were provided a warm welcome back to BC by students and staff.
Lab School Coordinator Dave Lendrum explained the significance of this special “Press Club” event.
“It serves a few purposes. For one, it allows former graduates a chance to share how Lab School prepared them for college, through the writing process and research,” said Lendrum. “Furthermore, the conversations help to allay current seniors’ fears getting accepted at the right schools, setting up your class schedule, and dealing with roommates.
“Finally, it shows the underclassmen how important how much camaraderie exists within the Lab School and how even students in different grades are all part of the same great family,” he said.
Topics covered during the 90-minute conversation included:
- Choosing a college
- Navigating the expense of higher education
- What the Lab School research process taught them
- Setting up a class schedule
- Seeking out study groups
- Managing friendships and social life outside of classes
The students below returned for this special event, with the exception of Emma Oschsner who is currently studying abroad:
Lab School Class of 2017
- Amelia McCarthy – SUNY Brockport Honors College
- Rachel Antenucci – Hobart/William Smith
- Jared Haas – Siena College
- David Bell – University of Hartford
- Julia Maniccia – American University
- Emma Oechsner – Georgetown University
- Amelia Braddock – American University
- Heather Porter – University at Albany
- Maggie Allen – University of Hartford
- Sam Yakubowski – SUNY New Paltz
- Riley Stevens – SUNY Binghamton
- Luke Mara – HVCC
- Jacob Hernandez – Crane School of Music at SUNY Potsdam
- Ella Goodwin – Lafayette College
- Tim Brands – UMass Dartmouth
- Lucy Barrett – Clark University
- Zach Gibeau – Paul Smith’s College