Invitation to Apply
The Bethlehem Central School District (BCSD) invites applications for the position of Chief Business and Financial Officer (CBFO)/Assistant Superintendent for Business (ASB). BCSD seeks a strategic leader and collaborative district partner with an innovative and resilient spirit, as well as a proven record of financial operations and systems oversight to serve as its CBFO/ASB.
Reporting directly to the Superintendent of Schools and serving on the District Leadership Team, the CBFO/ASB has oversight and management responsibility over the financial and non-instructional operations of the district. This position plays a key role in the development of strategic plans, direction, and vision to ensure the overall health of the district’s financial resources. The CBFO/ASB will work collaboratively to manage financial transactions and reporting, ensuring compliance, and mitigating risk.
The Bethlehem Central School District’s reputation for excellence has attracted families to the Town of Bethlehem since the district was formed in 1930. Well-known throughout the Capital Region for its exemplary and innovative educational programs, BC is dedicated to preparing students to meet the demands of a Regents diploma, and much more, on their way to successful careers and rewarding lives. As public education continues to evolve in New York State, BC vows to meet mandates without losing sight of local priorities. With a philosophy that puts student achievement first, Bethlehem Central seeks to provide a safe and respectful learning environment that promotes academic rigor, embraces technology, and responds to students’ individual abilities while remaining responsible to taxpayers. In return, Bethlehem schools have enjoyed the support of active, involved residents who have passed nearly every budget and bond referendum proposed by the district in recent decades and who recognize their schools as the heart of their community.
The District at a Glance
Encompassing most of the Town of Bethlehem and part of the Town of New Scotland in Albany County, Bethlehem Central is a Suburban Council school district that serves approximately 4,200 students in kindergarten through grade 12. There are five neighborhood elementary schools, serving students in kindergarten through grade 5; a 6-8 middle school; and a 9-12 high school. We strive to maintain an average class size of 22-24 students, with lower enrollment common in the primary grades and in some advanced and specialized high school courses.
Bethlehem’s schools consistently are among the top-performing schools in the Capital Region and across the state. Our instructional staff consists of professionals who are well respected for their competency and contributions to education. This exceptional staff is supported by subject supervisors who oversee K-12 curriculum and instruction in addition to teaching. Our educational support staff consists of many full and part-time individuals equally committed to our students.
To educate and prepare all students to reach their potential, discover their purpose, and be engaged members of the community.
Instructional and assessment practices that are aligned to a strong and relevant curriculum.
Positive character traits are essential to becoming contributing members of society.
Strengthening family, school and community partnerships through transparent communication.
Enhancing social-emotional wellness and balance for students and staff by supporting active, healthy lifestyles and promoting positive behavior.
The new CBFO/ASB’s duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Proactively oversee the management of key non-instructional operational and financial areas for the district, to ensure high levels of quality services, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Organize, coordinate, and assist in program reviews, audits, and surveys to identify strengths and areas for improvement.
- Serve as a member of the district’s leadership team and provides assistance in managing and coordinating professional development opportunities for the district’s employees which address ongoing organizational needs and requirements.
- Present reports to the Board of Education, as requested.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Superintendent or designee.
BCSD seeks a candidate who embodies the following educational background, knowledge, skills and abilities.
School Business Administrator/Leader (SBA/SBL) or meet the qualification criteria under Civil Service.
Education and Experience
- M.A. or M.S. Education Administration School Business Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Administrative experience in the oversight of non-instructional support services.
- Background with strong emphasis in school finance, including the budgetary process, financial reporting, internal controls and processing of financial transactions, and school law; experience in supervising others.
- Minimum five years of managerial experience.
- Operational requirements for all non-instructional support services, including student transportation, facility management and food service.
- Bargaining unit contract administration and negotiation, maintaining effective labor-management relationships.
- Analysis and development of the budget, in compliance with relevant statutes.
Development of capital projects and compliance with SED requirements and approvals.
- Procurement laws governing municipal purchasing.
- State aid funding formulas, Federal grant compliance requirements, and audit requirements.
written and oral communication, able to effectively convey information to the public and other stakeholders
- collect, analyze, and interpret data
- prioritize and disseminate work that meets agreed-upon project timelines and goals
- build coalitions and work collaboratively with a broad range of diverse individuals
- inspire others in a way that encourages engagement and accountability
To apply for this leadership opportunity
For an application please visit the Capital Region Online Applications System (OLAS) at https://www.olasjobs.org/. All inquiries, questions, and requests for clarifications are to be directed to Ms. Jody Monroe, Superintendent of Schools at 518-439-7481 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A completed application will include:
- Competed OLAS Application Form
- Formal job-specific cover letter
- Current resume
- Current letters of recommendation
- April 22, 2022 – Application deadline
- May 3, 2022 – Initial interviews
- May 10, 2022 – Finalist interviews
- October 17, 2022 – New CBFO/ASB begins
BCSD actively fosters a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals from all racial, ethnic or other minority groups, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply for open positions.