Bethlehem Central School District will participate in the 2023 NYAPT School Bus Safety Poster Contest. Any student enrolled in a public, parochial, or other private school may submit an entry.
Posters may be submitted under five categories. First, Second, and Third place winning posters will be selected from each division, as follows:
Division #1 Grades K-2
Division #2 Grades 3-5
Division #3 Grades 6-8
Division #4 Special Education
Division #5 CAD (Computer Aided Drawing)
Division #6 Driver, Monitor and Attendant
All posters must first be submitted to and judged by the Bethlehem Central Transportation Department. The posters chosen from each division will then be entered into the State Contest and sent to the NYAPT office.
Please submit poster entries by: January 31, 2023 to:
Bethlehem Central School District Transportation Department
Attn: Sandra Mortensen
82 VanDyke Rd.
Delmar, NY 12054
NO POSTER ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DEADLINE DATE OF February 6, 2023.
1) Completed poster size must be 11” x 17” or 12″ x 18″.
2) There must be a card/entry blank (see attached for official form) securely fastened to the back of the poster. Please print or type this information clearly and legibly.
3) Posters may be illustrated on the vertical or horizontal axis.
4) Do NOT roll or fold the posters. They must be mailed/delivered flat and in some form of protective packaging.
5) Designs should be submitted on a quality tag, poster illustration board or heavy paper. Construction paper may be used but winning entries must be mounted on quality tag poster.
6) Lamination is not permitted and will disqualify the poster.
7) Cut paper/stencils (freehand or pre-drawn stick-on stencils) are not permitted and will disqualify the poster.
8) There is no limitation on the use and number of colors.
9) There is no limitation on the type of media – such as paint, crayon, felt pen, etc. used on the poster design. However, wood, plastic, glass or metal should not be part of the poster. Collage materials should not be used. Glued on pieces will eliminate the poster. Poster designs may not incorporate any copyrighted characters, e.g., comic and/or television characters, photographs, magazines or newspaper illustrations.
10) Illustrations must be original, correct in safety concepts and the exclusive work of the student entering the contest in idea, design and execution. Illustrations should be positive in approach, demonstrating only proper school bus safety behaviors. At least a part of a yellow school bus must be present in the poster.
NOTE: Do not use the school district or company name on the front of the poster. Use of a specific school district or company name displayed on the front of the poster will disqualify the poster.
EVERY POSTER MUST HAVE THE 2023 THEME:
“Safely Rolling to My Destination”
(Contestants must illustrate above theme only, and the theme must be exactly as shown)
Freehand drawn letters only may be used on the poster design. Stenciled, pre-printed, manufactured stick-on or press-on letters or tracings may not be used and will disqualify the poster. Lettering should be clearly legible, even if used as part of the poster design.
Posters will be judged at the state level during the NYAPT 2023 Winter Workshop February 22-24, 2023. The winning posters may be used by NYAPT for educational purposes and contest promotion. Criteria for selection of award-winning posters are:
Relationship of the poster design to school bus safety practices
Originality of the poster and how the idea is expressed in the poster design
Artwork and its execution
Visual impact of the poster design
All rules regarding poster specifications, themes, lettering, etc. must be followed. The penalty for non-compliance will be disqualification of the poster.
All entries become the property of NYAPT and will not be returned. Entries to the national competition become the property of ASBC, in accordance with the rules of the competition
New York State awards are as follows:
1st Place Winners in each division: $100 check and certificate
2nd Place Winners in each division: $75 check and certificate
3rd Place Winners in each division: $50 check and certificate
National Prize Award Levels: Information is available at NAPT.org/PosterContest
The 2023 Poster contest Announcement and Rules handout: