On Wednesday, Apr. 26, the Bethlehem Central School District officially broke ground on a state-of-the-art synthetic turf field stadium at the high school. The project was approved by voters as part of the $40.7 million 2021 Facilities Improvement Project.
The synthetic turf field will provide nearly year-round access to a consistent playing and practice surface for BC student-athletes. The field will be used for interscholastic play by the school’s soccer, lacrosse and field hockey teams. The field will also be used for physical education classes for grades 9-12.
The field’s stadium complex will include accessible bleachers for up to 1,000 spectators, a press box, a scoreboard, and a sound system. Other features include a concession building with accessible restrooms, field maintenance storage, new and improved drainage and a state-of-the-art lighting system.
The field and stadium are expected to be completed sometime in fall 2023, weather permitting.
As part of the groundbreaking, administrators, coaches and teachers, student-athletes and members of the Board of Education celebrated the start of the project. They included, pictured l to r:
- Gregg Nolte, Former Director of Facilities & Operations
- David Doemel, Jr., BCHS School Principal
- Brian Filarecki, Member of the Varsity Boys Soccer Team
- Brian Spina, Varsity Boys Soccer Coach
- Dave Rounds, Varsity Boys Lacrosse Coach
- Zackary Foro, Member of the Varsity Boys Lacrosse Team
- Zach Tacelli, Supervisor of K-12 Physical Education
- John McPhillips, Chief Business and Financial Officer
- David Hurst, Ph. D., Deputy Superintendent
- Holly Dellenbaugh, Board of Education President
- Robert Tietjen, Board of Education Member
- Meredith Moriarty, Board of Education Member
- Jody Monroe, Superintendent of Schools
- Nick Insognia, Director of Facilities and Operations
- Len Kies, Director of Athletics and Wellness
- Piera McGaughan, JV Girls Soccer Coach and Physical Education Teacher
- Dani Blanchard, Varsity Girls Lacrosse Coach/ JV Field Hockey Coach/Physical Education Teacher
- Dawn Austin, Varsity Field Hockey Coach
- Caroline Marotta, Member of the Varsity Girls Soccer & Varsity Girls Lacrosse Teams
- Violet Piccinini, Member of the Varsity Girls Lacrosse Team
- Violet Macdonald, Member of the Varsity Field Hockey Team
Video: Superintendent Jody Monroe speaks to WRGB 6 Sports about the new turf field.